Bellaire Inner Loop
Bellaire, affectionately referred to as the “City of Homes,” is an incorporated city in the heart of Houston. Bellaire is readily recognized by its red street signs, and its homes and businesses are served by the Bellaire police, recreation, and fire departments.
In 1909, W. W. Baldwin bought 9,700 acres of the DeMoss Ranch, much of which would eventually become home sites for Bellaire. At that time, the area was named Westmoreland Farms. In 1911, Bellaire was registered and, in June 1918, incorporated as a city. By 1919, Bellaire real estate had grown to 25 homes and by 1939, when Bellaire adopted its first zoning ordinance, the number of homes had grown to 330. After World War II, returning veterans and their families launched the largest housing boom in history and by 1960, Bellaire had expanded to more than 6,000 homes.
During the 1980s, “close-in” Houston real estate became highly desirable. Builders and developers began to replace Bellaire’s small, two- bedroom, one-bath bungalow-style homes that occupied very large lots with beautiful two- and three-story new construction homes in various architectural styles.
Bellaire’s small-town atmosphere paired with big-city amenities make it a highly-desirable place to live. Strong zoning requirements remain in force to enhance and protect the residential neighborhood quality of Bellaire life. Bellaire offers award-winning schools, beautiful parks, a variety of recreational facilities, and excellent libraries. Loop 610 offers easy access to the nearby Texas Medical Center, the Galleria, various business districts and a wide assortment of cultural events.